Repairing the KitchenAid Mixer


Well we have one of those small KitchenAid Mixers and can usually grind 3 cups of wheat with the wheat grinder attachment before we have to let it cool down. Well last month Kerstin wanted to make two loaves of bread and so ground 5 cups of wheat which caused the gears to bind so knowing that taking the mixer to be repaired would cost as much as a new mixer I pulled out my KitchenAid mixer service manual and started to repair it. By the way, if you are not comfortable working with high voltage that can potentially kill you please seek professional help as you can be killed.

Start of the project

First I took off the back and disconnected the black wire to insert my amp meter to measure the draw when the motor was in use and using P=V*I figured out that the mixer was drawing more than it was suppose to which the troubleshooting guide said indicated that the gears were jammed. After this test power MUST BE DISCONNECTED!!

So to take apart this machine you have to knock off the splash guard with a hammer and flat head screwdriver. Tap lightly and evenly around so that it just slips off. You then need to take the pin out that holds mixing handle to the main shaft (you see the main shaft in the picture) and after the pin is removed using two screwdrivers as levers pull up thing. Straight up!

To remove the base you need to turn it upside down and loosen the screw that holds the base pin and then tap out the pivot pin.

Now loosen all the screws (5 around the shaft and 4 around the main case) and then pull the gears out of the gear case. Watch out for that grease (best to use a towel that you don’t mind becoming your shop towel).

The gear case just holds a lot of grease, the motor drive and the attachment drive gear. Made sure both of these moved with ease.
Side note: The first time I did this it was still plugged in at this point and so I turned on the power and got splattered with grease. The motor turns VERY quickly.

Here I am working on the main gears to verify that they are all working, there was one mesh that was a little stuck but after cleaning it out and re-greasing, it moved smoothly.

Then you just simply repeat the steps in the opposite order and then it returns to the form that you got it. As we put everything back together we actually cleaned it up and so it looked like new.

So now our mixer is working great and Kerstin knows not to grind more than 3 cups per batch, and to let it cool down for an hour after grinding. We are looking into getting the pro model that can handle the grinding a lot better and has more speed options (this one only has 5) but it will take awhile before that hits the top of our priority list.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: