Greenhouse is operational


Well the greenhouse finally got all the dirt into the box and the peppers planted. Earlier a couple weeks ago, I had moved the tomatoes and squashes outside into the greenhouse to harden them off and placed them somewhat in the dirt, well the squash did not have its roots penetrate the coir pot, however the tomato plant easily expanded and now had an eight inch root ball, thus the reason why it was VERY healthy. So the first picture here is off the pepper side of the greenhouse growing box. The left most are Serraño Peppers (which were transplanted a week ago)followed by Cayenne Peppers then the Anaheim Peppers and the Bell Peppers and finally the Jalapeño Peppers. The front side (which faces west) doesn’t have anything planted yet but the north side has the squashes and tomatoes in their coir pots, though soon I’ll be planted Lima Bean seeds directly into the soil hoping this year they will do a lot better than last outside of the greenhouse. From the little research I did on why the beans failed to grow was that the temperature just was too cold and they require the warmth similar to a pepper plant instead of a bean plant. I have this final picture so that you can see the full greenhouse planting box (of course surrounded by gardening tools). When I took the picture I had just watered and the greenhouse was actually starting to get pretty warm and starting to condense on the roof windows (which were the ones we replaced with Acrylic instead of glass panes). Another benefit of the greenhouse for the plants is that it is a great protection against another garden pest that is very prevalent in these parts, the rabbits (we also have the slugs, snails, ants, caterpillars, deer, etc.).

The rabbits are starting to come out and feast on the clover down in the lower field, so I need to get the fence up before they decide that there are some great veggies to munch on just a little bit farther up the slope. These pictures were actually taken away from the field on the border of the blackberry bushes (which also happens to be the swamp) and after a lot of the burning we have done it has gotten rid of quite a few hiding spots that are nearer the garden area.

Also wanted to get more pictures of the garden just to show how much the garden has come along.

Here is the northwest upper box showing those great daisies coming along in the bottom right, which are next to the fennel plants. The slugs had taken out the lettuce plants so I transplanted a few burgundy bush beans and one of the lettuces decided to make a comeback, we’ll see if it can. The Denver Half-Long Carrots are on one side of the bush beans with the Brussels Sprouts plant on the other and a small Artichoke plant is above that. This is the Lower part of the Northwest box which contains the Bush and pole peas that didn’t want to go to the trellis for support and instead grew off the side of the box, hopefully they will decide to correct themselves soon enough. The two boxes hold Cosmic Purple and Atomic Red Carrots though I need to replant the Atomic Reds as all but one has been devoured. In the middle there are the Celery plant squares and above that we have the burgundy bush bean square. In the upper left next to the peas is a sweat pumpkin that hopefully will provide us with some great pumpkins to make pumpkin puree for future canning. Finally we have the dill planted on the right bottom 2 squares, I started off with 16 plants per square and ended up with 2 plants per square. There should only be one per square, but see how planting more then you need makes it so that the critters can thin the crop for you!
Here is a better shot of the pea plants and the ensuing dilemma of getting them on the trellis. This is the southwest box where I transplanted the Beefmaster tomato plant. Also since these are cinderblocks we have planted strawberry starts in some of the holes to give us a few strawberries a little bit latter. Right of the tomato are some collards, below the collards are some more Denver Half Long carrots. To the left of the carrots we have some Broccoli plants.
This is the rest of the southwest box on the top row we have from left to right, Spinach, Spinach, Atomic Red Carrots. On the bottom row we have left to right: Cilantro, Daisies and Caraway seed (though I haven’t really seen much and Kerstin told me she might have pulled the starts thinking they were weeds so it might be an empty square). This is the southeast box with the top row being collards, Artichoke and a blank. The bottom row is a pepper plant (Kerstin said it was a cherry tomato but the leaf structure is incorrect), Broccoli and White Bunching Onions.
This is the other part of the southeast box (with a bit of overlap from the previous picture) with the top row of: Blank, Sage and Brussels Sprouts; bottom row: White Bunching Onions, Swiss Chard and Egyptian Walking Topset Onions. And finally our climbing roses are starting to bloom.
Advertisements

One response to this post.

  1. Posted by Jackie on June 3, 2010 at 9:33 am

    Oh what adorable bunnies! And great garden – keep it up! And come do mine! 🙂

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: